Stephen & Madeleine Kear's Holiday Gites In France

After Stephen's exhausting years and demanding schedules as a violinist in the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra we left it all behind us to run idyllic gites in the Gartempe Valley, La Vienne, France.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

the worker's holiday

'le premier mai' seemed to be on the mind of most of my elderly people I saw today who told me I shouldn't be at work. It is, of course, a paid holiday for workers. I asked about the significance of the bunches of lily of the valley that many display in their houses at this time. It has become synonymous with this 'jour de fete' but no-one can quite tell me why. It is supposed to bring 'bonheur' - good luck - I was told, so I was pleased when one of the ladies I work for gave me a bunch from her garden to take home. In the Macaron shop in Montmorillon (the most wonderful speciality chocolate and macaron shop) they had all sorts of ornate chocolate and sweet parcels adorned with lily of the valley so Mayday is marked here by not just a holiday but the lily of the valley flower and an acknowledgement that this working person's holiday really is something to celebrate and appreciate.

The planting continues as does the effort to battle the weeds. Today was calmer but with continual showers amidst sunshine and was good gardening weather.

I wasn't going to bring the subject of Teresa up ... but - well - she's still sitting on the nest and wont budge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home