Stephen & Madeleine Kear's Holiday Gites In France

After Stephen's exhausting years and demanding schedules as a violinist in the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra we left it all behind us to run idyllic gites in the Gartempe Valley, La Vienne, France.

Monday, June 09, 2008

cats and dogs and gardening

Today was a complete marathon with work this morning at beautiful La Bussiere then a four kilometre brisk walk with the two dogs and the cat, Ollie, who decided to come for the outing. Our local farmers eyed me suspiciously as we all - me and my furry friends - paraded past their farm, tails raised high and proud. Ollie however lost her nerve when we reached the road and took flight in some weeds. I then had to coax her out of a hedgerow (all of this in full view of the farmers) and carry her until we were safe in the woods. I am a little worried about her as she hasn't surfaced for her evening meal - in fact since the walk she seems to have completely disappeared. I am now wondering if she has expired from heat exhaustion or is just sulking.

It was a superb day - gardening was hot hard work. I weeded and hoed and weedkilled and mowed until about 6pm when I had a swim to cool off. The water temperature was 78 so it was delicious. Tonight I used some of our rainwater store to water the vegetables and plants. We need this sun now to ripen the vegetables and fruit. It has not been hot enough recently - a factor much agreed upon by my friend in La Bussiere who said emphatically that the climate these days was 'la saloperie' which literally means 'a bitch'.

I was amused by the consternation raised by Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd who said we need to set fire or strike a match to OPEC because of the rising cost of fuel and diminishing oil supplies. This was a highly inflammable remark!! But one should understand that the Aussies are nothing if not frank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home